Monday, July 16, 2007

The Challenge

We can't put the pdf file up but here's the content of the challenge part of the brochure. Also, I've included the facts part. If you want to take the challenge and accept a free energy kit and an eat local map, give us a call-905 549 0900

THE HEAT IS UP, THE PRESSURE'S ON!

Climate change is the biggest threat to our planet Earth. Human-made global warming is happening now and people around the planet are feeling the effects, including us.

2005 was Hamilton's hottest summer in recorded history. Air pollution sent over 2500 people to hospital emergency rooms and caused 300 to die prematurely. This summer, high temperatures are making matters worse with 22 days of smog advisories before the end of June and already 10 days with temperatures hotter than 30C.

WE'RE ALL PART OF THE PROBLEM, WE CAN ALL BE PART OF THE SOLUTION

This summer, Environment Hamilton is inviting you to help take control of climate change, and join the global effort to keep our planet liveable.

We're challenging you and your family to take practical steps, large or small, to reduce the pollution that's causing climate change.

In a few days we will be knocking on your door to collect your pledge.

Accept the challenge, and receive a FREE ENERGY SAVING KIT worth $30 and a beautiful map of over 50 different Hamilton locations where you can buy locally grown food.

PLEDGE AS MANY AS YOU CAN TO REDUCE YOUR IMPACT ON THE PLANET

STEP ONE

  • I will install energy efficient devices to save power and water
  • I will not use cleaning appliances at peak energy times - noon to 8pm
  • When replacing appliances, I will purchase Energy Star appliances
  • I will walk, bike or use public transit at least one journey a week
  • I will reduce my thermostat 1 C in winter and raise it 2 C in summer

STEP TWO

  • I will wash clothes in cold water and hang them to dry
  • I will switch off my air conditioner while not at home
  • I will walk, bike or use transit at least three journeys a week
  • I will switch to a fuel efficient vehicle on my next vehicle purchase
  • I will buy locally grown food from farmers or markets
  • I will invite the city to plant a free tree in front of my house by calling (905)546-2489

STEP THREE

  • I will walk, bike or use transit exclusively to get to and from work
  • I will get rid of my vehicle and save money
  • I will plant a garden or join a community garden
  • I will take my next vacation within 200 kms of my home
  • I will join a local action group on climate change

GIVE YOUR CAR A VACATION

An annual HSR bus pass costs $852. In comparison, the Canadian Automobile Association estimates one car costs $10,000 a year.

PURCHASE LOCALLY GROWN FOOD

Hamilton is surrounded by some of the most fertile farm country in Canada. Local food is fresher and healthier, and eating it supports the local economy and protects farmland.

REDUCE ENERGY USE AT PEAK TIMES.

On hot summer days when air conditioners are running full-out, all the extra energy comes from polluting coal-fired facilities.

THERE IS STRENGTH IN NUMBERS.

Environment Hamilton is a non-profit citizens group that helps residents to protect and improve our environment. To help strengthen its voice, you are invited to become a member today.

No comments: